Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Pillow Talk


In my last post I mentioned that my son just graduated high school. My niece also just graduated from high school.....on the same day..... at the same time..... from the same school..... with the same group of friends. It's nice when cousins can be more than just family, but also close friends. I sewed lots of things for graduation. I foresee the next few posts being about that.


One of the things I gave my niece was a pillow to go on her bed in the dorm. Her bedding is gray, yellow, and turquoise chevron. She isn't a 3 letter monogram, preppy kind of girl, so I just appliquéd a big B on the pillow. Afterward, I thought it was a little plain so I took it apart and added cording around the edge in the same fabric as the appliqué.  That cording really enhanced the pillow. 

My other niece (the graduate's older sister) is moving into an apartment dorm at college next fall. She will have her own room with a double bed. Where was that when I went to college??? Of course this meant my sister-in-law had to buy her new bedding. Her new bedding is navy. Now this niece IS the 3 letter monogram, preppy kind of girl, so I could let all my inner preppy-ness fly!! After I made her pillow, I really wanted to keep it. Too bad I don't have the same initials as she does. Nor do I have navy bedding in my house. With my love of the nautical quilt that I posted earlier, I think I'm going to have to re-do a bedroom in navy. Maybe when the kids move out for good. 


This picture really doesn't do this pillow justice. The navy quatrefoil with that navy cording was a perfect combination. 





No comments:

Post a Comment